Seeing Our World: a CSPE and Transition Year resource that explores blindness and human rights around the world
This TY and CSPE resource has been written to encourage discussion and debate on health and human rights through the causes of avoidable blindness, the need for equal opportunities and about people who are blind or visually impaired in the developing world.
It includes easy to-follow activities and action plan projects that aim to encourage discussion and debate in the classroom.
blindness, disabilities, dóchas code of conduct on images and messages, equality, health, hre, human rights, images, images, inclusion, literacy, poverty, social exclusion, trachoma
transition year, junior cycle, 12-15 years
civic social and political education, media studies, transition unit
activity pack, whiteboard, video clip
This teacher resource aims to:
- Expose Irish secondary students to the issues, challenges and actions of a non-governmental organisation, Sightsavers, and to reflect on their own attitudes and ideas in relation to our work
- Deepen the level of understanding about the challenges faced by people who are visually impaired in developing countries
- Support secondary school teachers in delivering CSPE and Transition Year classes
- Use human rights education as a platform for exploring the work of Sightsavers on issues such as global health, social exclusion and poverty
- Provide a range of learning exercises across six activities that can be easily adapted to fit CSPE and Transition Year modules
- Give students an opportunity to complete a range of action projects, including taking part in Sightsavers’ Snap a Sight Photo Competition
This resource includes: recording and documenting learning opportunities; cataract and visual impairment simulation exercises; quizzes; infographics; videos; exploring images; worksheets and case studies; evaluation exercises.
Once students have completed the activities and action projects they will be awarded with Sightsavers certificates.
Video 1: A few things to know about avoidable blindness | 3 minutes
Video 2: Realising Rights Changing Lives - Part 1 | 9 minutes
Video 3: Realising Rights Changing Lives - Part 2 | 9 minutes
Video 4: Global Trachoma Mapping Project | 2 minutes